Technical assistance (TA) provided by the Center of Excellence for Protected Health Information (CoE-PHI) aims to support implementation of relevant federal confidentiality and privacy laws for providing mental health and substance use disorder services to clients in practice.
TA is designed to clarify confidentiality regulations and laws, link professionals to helpful resources, and identify strategies to support practical implementation of confidentiality and privacy regulations in practice.
Who can request technical assistance?
Technical assistance can be requested by professionals who provide oversight for, or directly provide:
- substance use disorder or mental health services working in state agencies
- healthcare organizations (including primary care, mental health and substance use treatment facilities)
- school-based settings
Types of assistance
Technical assistance is provided in a variety of formats, including;
- Remote consultations provided via email or phone
- Linkage to online resources
- Facilitating peer to peer consultation
- Development of tailored resources
- This includes supporting organizations in planning, implementing strategies, and designing tools and curriculum for building staff knowledge and competency in applying confidentiality and privacy regulations on the job.
Before Requesting Technical Assistance
We have put together an extensive list of resources to ensure you have access to the information you need to understand and apply confidentiality and privacy regulation and law in your setting here. Please check the resource section of our website prior to requesting technical assistance as our existing resources may assist you with your questions.